- 2009 ONLINESTAR, prestigious award presented to DFL, German Soccer Association, for best Internet-Sports-Site, my game Bundesliga Manager, played a crucial role in this.
- 2003 Scientific Challenge Award, for a paper titled ”Recognition and Prediction of Motion Situations Based on a Qualitative Motion Description”, RoboCup Symposium 2003.
- 2001 Best paper award (2nd place) at the international conference on ”Iinformatics and information systems in the finance business” (WI-IF) (out of 266 papers). The title of the paper is ”Intelligent Brokering of Environmental Information with the BUSTER system”.
- 1997 Post-Doctoral Fellowship, Queensland University of Technology
- 1996 Post-Doctoral Fellowship, DLR: Deutsche Zentrum für Luft- und Raumfahrt and GTZ Deutsche Gesellschaft für technische Zusammenarbeit.
- 1994 Best innovative regional software (2nd place) awarded by the North-Rhine Westphalian government (largest state in Germany). Team member and head of development of a group of 25 people who developed a plant protection expert system (PRO PLANT.
- 1993 Artificial Intelligence Award of the Society for Informatics (GI) in Germany: The PRO PLANT group won at the Second German Conference on Expert Systems in Hamburg (out of 27 systems).
- 1993 Final qualifier at the German-Austrian academic college software prize, top 5 out of 45 systems.
- 1993 Best new software prize, The PRO PLANT group was awarded at the worlds largest agricultural exhibition (Agritechnica) in Frankfurt, Germany.
- 1990 ACER award (2nd place), The PRO PLANT group became second for the ”conception of a decision-supported plant protection advisory system”.
- 2007 - present: Editorial Board, German AI Journal (Kuenstliche Intelligenz), publisher: Springer.
- 2006 - present: Editorial Board, Intern. Journal on Semantic Web and Information Systems (IJSWIS), publishers: Elsevier, IGI Global.
Professional and Honorary Organizations
- Internal Advisory Board of the RoboCup Federation, 2013 – present.
- Trustee of the RoboCup Federation, 2006-2012.
- Executive Member of the Media & IT Association (State of Bremen) August 2007 – August 2008 (leaving for USA).
- Executive Member of the RoboCup Federation, 2003-2006.
- Co-Speaker of the German RoboCup Association (Arbeitskreis RoboCup), 2003 – present.
Research Panels and Study Sections
- European Commission, Brussels, FP7-ICT-Call 5, Challenge 4.2, Cultural Heritage & Technology Enhanced Learning, 2009, BELGIUM.
- European Commission, Brussels, FP7-ICT-Call 3, Challenge 4.3, Cultural Heritage & Technology Enhanced Learning, 2008, BELGIUM.
- European Commission, Brussels, FP7-ICT-Call 1, Cultural Heritage & Technology Enhanced Learning, 2007, BELGIUM.
- European Commission, Brussels, FP6-ICT-Call 5, Learning and Cultural Heritage, 2005, BEL- GIUM
- NASA Research Proposals, Intelligent Systems Project, 2003, USA.
- Netherlands Organization for Scientific Research (NWO), 2003, THE NETHERLANDS.
- German Research Council (DFG), several proposals until 2008, GERMANY.
- German Federal Ministry of Education and Research (BMBF), several proposals until 2010, GERMANY.
RoboCanes achievements since 2010:
- German Open 2011
- US Open 2015
- World Cup Mexico 2012, Brazil 2014
- Iran Open 2011, 2012
- US Open 2014
- Iran Open 2014
- World Cup China 2015, The Netherlands 2013, Turkey 2011, Singapore 2010